Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kermit's getting a friend!!!

Default Re: Kermit's getting a friend!!!

Thanks. I think she's a beauty! It was AWESOME to be able to see so many lovebirds at Eric's all in one place. I've never seen some of the colors in real life. They are all very beautiful, and very well taken care of :-) I am very thankful I found this forum and was able to connect with Eric. I would have hated to have to buy one from the petstore...ACK!
    Rachel;
    Thanks for the great names! I really like them. Given me lots to consider....
    Heather

My Lovies Kira-Seagreen Slate Kai: Green Violet Orange Face
    1 RES Turtle, 2 Dogs,5 Cats

Keltoth Guest

I'm glad she is settling in nicely; I miss her already! I have to admit that I was a little bit stressed about her all last night. Every bird that leaves the home flock to go to their new home reacts differently, and some definitely seem to take it all in stride better than others. This little girl, however, was not one of them. The way she was flying about last night instead of sitting on anyone's fingers let me know that she was feeling the stress of the situation, and the other birds in the juvenile cage *knew* what was going on when they saw a stranger come into the aviary room, so I have no doubt that she knew what was happening when she was the only one removed from the cage and taken out into the family room.

Anyway, I am extremely happy that she calmed down once you got her home and decided to sit on your shoulder! It sounds like the relationship is already starting between the two of you if she is already snuggling up to your face, and from your description it sounds like she is settling in quite nicely.

While you are here, I got to thinking about how I told you to quarantine at least 30 days, because Kermit was a recent addition to your home and his health was an unknown element. How long has he actually been there in your home? I ask because if you have had him for 90 days or longer without any signs of illness at all and have not exposed him to any other birds or household pets, I would say that there really is nothing to be gained from keeping the two of them isolated from one another at this point, as she comes from a closed aviary and we DO know conclusively what her health status is and where she has been and her risk of any exposure, etc. If you've had Kermit for over 90 days and have not exposed him to any other birds or other animals and he is not showing (nor has ever shown) any signs of illness, I'd say any health risks are minimal at this point and you could allow them to make their introductions to each other. Maybe ask the vet at your work what he thinks, but if Kermit has already been isolated in your home for more than 90 days, there really is little to be gained, other than using that 30 days to build your relationship with her before you introduce her to Kermit.

"K" names, eh? "Kira" means "black" in Celtic; she is a Slate and her dark, gray rump is almost black, so Kira might be appropriate. "Keiki" is Hawaiian for "child", and "Keena" is Gaelic for "brave". Incidently, my son named an older brother to your bird "Kishi", which means "night" in a Native American dialect and "by the shore" in Japanese.

Thanks very much for the update!

- Eric
    Last edited by Keltoth; 01-24-2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Bekause I speek better than I spell...

I have had Kermit since 12/1. So not quite 2 months. He came from a private home who has had him since he was a baby for 5 years. Kermit has been in the same room as my dogs/cats but not directly interacting with them. So I will check with my vet tomorrow and see what he thinks as far as needed separation..

Ok...Kira it is. I was looking at that name, but it fits perfectly!
    Last edited by cprcheetah; 01-24-2007 at 03:21 PM.
    Heather

wooohooo, welcome home Kira! (I likes the name!: )
    rachel
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
    She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    She is a beauty!!!! I expected nothing less from Eric's flock! I hope she and Kermit will fall hopelessly in love!

No idea for names but, you have a Mac??? Welcome to my world. Fortunately my neighbor is a Mac genius! My kids got me hooked on Mac's and I'll admit it, I've become an Apple snob!

I didn't know that linking photos would be different on a Mac, using iPhoto. I use ImageStation and just follow their instructions.
    Yes my hubby is a Mac fanatic. I have his old G4 laptop...still trying to figure it out. I have a Linux based desktop computer (I avoid Windows like the virus my hubby keeps telling me it is LOL! ) but I'm still waiting for hubby to finish setting up the network in the new house (moved in last thursday). So times of the essense.....LOL! I will see if I can bribe him to show me how, I tried uploading to Imagestation last night, but it would just chose Iphoto not any images...Of course I was awfully tired too...woke up at 4:30am yesterday to be to work by 6! ARGH!!!!
    Heather