Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sex and the Psittacine

Keltoth Guest

Default Sex and the Psittacine

Ok, with a title like that, you might wonder what it is doing here in the Behavior and Taming section and not in the breeding section, huh? Well, I guess you will just have to read the article and find out why! N'yah, n'yah!

From the website of "The Companion Parrot Quarterly".

- Eric

Default Re: Sex and the Psittacine

Really good article, Eric, and something all pet bird owners could benefit from by reading it! Thanks for the link!
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

Very interesting reading. Gives alot to think about. Thanks for the link, Eric!
    rachel
    "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
    She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -Mark Twain

Thanks for the article. I love their stuff. It's usually very true and honest stuff about parrot keeping. I know Mijo is very sexual with me and it's always tough discouraging him, and me for that matter. If he's feeling really amourous, I can touch him pretty much anywhere. I rarely do this but I'm human and want to touch my bird like everybody else . I've also limited beaker kisses cause he often takes the pose of a bird who's being regurgitated for so I feel bad that he's getting the wrong idea. It's also funny cause the sexual behavior doesn't really bother me when it's my lovies, but Mijo is a little too smart for me to be comfortable with his advances so I try to discourage them.

My husband has also been able to develop a great relationship with Mijo. They play together when I'm in the same room as well as when I'm not around. In fact, I think Mijo not only likes my husband more but sees him as a sort of flock leader.
    Last edited by LauraO; 01-30-2007 at 05:02 PM.
    Laura O

Question:
    Does this apply to all lovebirds, all the time? We love stroking Tutti on the back but of course we don't want to stimulate him in any way that could be harmful.
    I haven't see information like this before.

Hi Estee,
    The information in the article is true for all companion parrots, from the largest to the smallest. As babies, the stroking will not have the same effect as it will have on a sexually mature bird. While a bird may seem to enjoy the stroking, that stroking is also having another effect, as well.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

Wow, that's really important to know.
    What areas of the birdie's body do not stimulate in that way? In other words, what areas of petting will impart affection but not also be sexually stimulating?

Most birds like to have their beaks rubbed and some will turn their heads almost upside down if you will scratch/rub their feathers! Do this carefully. Should there be new feathers coming in (encased in keritan sheaths), those hurt and your efforts will be rewarded with a screech and a nip!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

My little ones love to have me flip them onto their backs and scratch (and kiss) their chests and abdomens.
    MJ

Thanks, this information is very helpful.

I have been finding in so many ways that having a lovebird is just like having kids-- handling biting firmly and seriously with no exciting reaction comes to mind as an example.

But this is counterintuitive. I wouldn't have thought that a back was sexually stimulating but an abdomen was not.

Oh- and a question: when I try to pet Tutti's belly, he climbs up on my finger. Any tips?
    Last edited by Estee; 06-05-2007 at 07:37 PM.