Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sex and the Psittacine

Default Re: Sex and the Psittacine

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post

Oh- and a question: when I try to pet Tutti's belly, he climbs up on my finger. Any tips?
    Many lovebirds, when trained to step up, the method used was to push your finger under their abdomen to make them step on, so this might be why Tutti is doing so. Try holding Tutti in your hand, lying on his/her back and rubbing the belly that way. Some birds aren't used to being on their back and it takes time and trust for them to feel comfortable doing so.
    MJ

Quote Originally Posted by linda040899 View Post
    ...and some will turn their heads almost upside down if you will scratch/rub their feathers! Do this carefully. Should there be new feathers coming in (encased in keritan sheaths), those hurt and your efforts will be rewarded with a screech and a nip!

Umm... (*blush of ignorance*)... if we scratch/rub their feathers? Aren't they all feathers? Which feathers?

MJ--- yes, that's how he was trained. My sons are working on tipping him back slightly and petting his upper tummy. It seems to be going well. =no squawking or wriggling.

And (another) question: do birds like being rubbed back and forth, like behind a puppy's ears, or should touches be strictly smoothing-down?

(*head in hand*) oh, I am so clueless about birds!
    Last edited by Estee; 06-06-2007 at 07:04 PM.

good informative article.

Thanks For the info. It explains alot. Like why fweet fweet will always go after fingers who try and take him off of me And why every time he comes near me or when I go by his cage and talk to him he starts the dance. Last night for the fist time he tried to mate on me. I have had hime for 1.5 yrs and he has never done that before. I hope he does not become more agressive towards other people when I am around.
    Thanks Again Stacey

This article was perfect timing for me! We were trying to figure out what's up with Acoo. He started to sit on his swing inside his cage and regergitate all day!
    I took the swing out and he would go to a different perch and do the same thing, then he would just go to a toy, so I removed them, there is literally piles of regergitated food at the bottom of his cage every day. He didn't even want to leave his cage!! He's five years old and a very affectionate boy...we have always petted him, but really only on his head....all over his head cuz he just keeps turning it for you to get all his favorite spots. He only has to hear me say hi to him and he starts his regergitating...so now what to do.
    The thing is he likes my son and my husband as well..he willingly goes to visit each of us and settle down for a visit. This behavior has been in ernest for about 3 weeks or so...any suggestions would be welcome.

This behavior has been in ernest for about 3 weeks or so...any suggestions would be welcome.
    Accept that which you probably can't change or modify. All animals have sexual sides and this is typical of male lovebirds. I had a female Cockatoo that loved to feed anything and everything! I was just thankful she wasn't a Macaw!!!

Seriously, the behavior will come and go but never disappear. Just love him and accept him as he is!
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

“Her favorite thing is to sneak under the pillows or the blanket, then she comes out to show me all of her pretty feathers and actually tries to feed (regurgitate to) me. Then she backs up under the pillow again clucking at me. It is so cute!”

This is serious business for your parrot and not in the slightest bit “cute”! She is in sexual overload, a condition that could trigger her into a constant reproductive state ultimately leading to Hormone and Adrenaline Toxicosis. There are ongoing studies by some wonderful veterinarians that have led them to believe that this state of constant reproductivity is very harmful to these parrots. Some of the other health problems seen in these types of birds can be extremely high levels of Cholesterol and Triglycerides, Heart Disease, and Feather Picking that can be brought on (or a current feather destructive problem worsened) by an inflamed reproductive system.

How could I discourage this? My male lovebird does this to me all the time, without me doing anything to trigger it. Is it different between males and females?

Lovebirds are prestigious for their rest position in which they sit one next to the other and turn their countenances in towards one another. Likewise, peach-faced females are very much noted to tear crude materials into long strips, "twisty-tie" them onto their backs.

Oki feel kinda silly...I cant find the article but want to read it...I just get to the main site and I am clicking around and cannot find it? I really want to read it... 😳

Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.