Thread: Dilemma!!!

Question Dilemma!!!

Some know on here, that i adopted Bella`a birds.
    Miss Lemon as now laid 2 Eggs and 3rd on way.
    I will Know sometime over Easter weekend if they are viable, she as not finished laying yet. Am told about 6-7 eggs could be laid.
    Reason i have put this question on here is, Should i keep 1 viable Egg or 2 ?
    (others will be replaced with dummy eggs.) Reason why i want to keep 1 or 2 eggs, is Hoping they be males and Legs will have Brothers to play with.
    (Be sods law i get 2 females) Sooooo as you can see what a Dilemma i am in.
    1 egg or 2 ?. (knowing that i could have either 2 males/females)
    So any other perspective/advice be most welcomed from the forum users.
    Miss Lemon will then after this clutch be offically retired from breeding and laying eggs. I have a plan.
    Cheers for now.
    cassy. xx

Default Re: Dilemma!!!

I haven't the faintest idea. Sorry. I guess that if you want another birdy or two then two eggs is probably better than one, because there is always the risk that something might happen to the one egg, and then you have none.

But obviously you will need to decide what you will do if sod's law strikes and you get two girls!

Let's hope the other forum users can come up with some good collective wisdom.

Now as for this plan of yours...what is it?
    Bella

Cassy,

I think I would keep two. If you get two girls, then Legs could have a girlfriend, and hopefully you could find a good home for the other. If you get two boys, then Legs could have his pick, and again, find a good home for the other. If you get one of each, again, you could keep the male, and find a good home for the little girl. Either way, you get at least one lovie, and have only one home to find
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

I would also agree that two would be ideal as they will have each other for companionship as they grow.
    MJ

I vote for two eggs also.

Several months ago I asked if anyone knew the ratio of males to females in their clutches of eggs. Not many responded because not many of us kept those kind of records or did DNA tests on all the offspring. The clutches my birds laid were high female, low male.

If you pick one egg, the greater chance is it will be a female. You increase your odds of getting a male by keeping each additional egg.
    Kathryn
    "Speak kind words, hear kind echos"

what i was thinking, possibly 2 eggs. I will know either Easter Sunday/Monday if the 2 she as laid (3rd now been laid.) will be viable, i will candle them. If not i can take those out and replace with dummy eggs. Then candle 3rd egg, etc, she still got more eggs to come.