Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screaming

Default Re: Screaming

Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    MJ, those video links just made Oliver's day! He's sitting on my shoulder and I'm sure he's thinking, "OMG, she's gotten MORE of those darn birds to drive me nuts!" Those must be the links you tried to send me a couple of years ago, the ones I could not open....a Mac thing I'm sure. Your birds are so adorable!
    They got Ditto's attention too. He started with a "hey ladies, over here!" chirp.

Ok it was the same quiet little "cute birdy" chirp he always does when he hears lovies.
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Too cute!!! Yes, I too have learned to tune out some of the loud chatter.
    Your Little Lemonhead looks like my Snuggles - Pied Seagreen. I just posted photos in the genetics section.
    Kathryn
    "Speak kind words, hear kind echos"

those videos are great!! kiwi actually got real quiet, trying to figure out who those interlopers were.

kiwi goes through periods during the day where he will chirp, one loooooong, high pitched chirp, over and over again. it is ear piercing, but it doesn't last too long. it seems to be over excitement, and once he gets it out of his system, or when i finally figure out what he is so excited about, he calms down.

i'm not sure what you can do about it. it is what lovies do, like pooping all the time, but i have learnt to ignore it. getting a buddy is always a crapshoot, cause you could end up with two noisy birds that don't get along. i wish i had more helpful advice - you are a great lovie owner to put this much thought into keeping her, and i truly hope you can find something that helps you manage to cope with the noise.
    Robyn & Kiwi

Well, the first vid got Goof's attention and he made circles around the laptop occasionally looking over the edge. Then I wasn't allowed to touch the keyboard! The other two drew looks of curiosity. The more I played the first one, the more excited he became. None of them sounded like screams but they sure got his attention. This pretty well helps confirm a mate of some sorts is definitely in his future by the positive response he has towards hearing another lovebird.......And oh boy, lemon head is a beauty!

Oh yeah, about the egg I mentioned. While I do admit to certain amounts of idiosyncrasies, the egg came from wondering what my lovebird would do with an egg much larger than normal. Well it did keep him busy for quite some time and occasionally he likes to push it around like he's the boss. Of course other times its a mere poop target. He did, for awhile there, peck on it a bit. Hmmm, maybe I'll try the next size larger..........Michael and Goofy

P.S. I only share my idiosyncracies with poeple I really feel comfortable with and care about. The rest of the time you wouldn't know me from any other normal person.

Well, the video could be deceiving (sp?) but those lovie calls are nice to me, her screaming is almost intentionally annoying as loud as she possibly could be. most of the time its a set of 3 very loud high pitched chirps, "beep beep beep"pause "beep beep beep" pause etc... over and over and over. then sometimes what I think is the alarm call which is the loudest and longest, but that isn't as often as the other one. I would think its a contact call but she does it when im standing right there. she also does it when I'm doing anything with laundry or bedding. she hates when i fold clothes or make the bed. i think because i towel her once in a while to try and hold her, scratch her head etc. and while she usually ends up liking it, its a process everytime. i'm curious how she will react to the videos, i'm going to go get her up now and see. BTW, how long do your lovies sleep? where do you keep them so they have quiet? I read that they are supposed to get 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night. She is covered for that long, but I don't think she sleeps for more than 7 or 8 hours. She is in our bedroom so when we go to bed she hears us, when we get up she hears us, and when the sun comes up she is awake, I wonder if she's over tired, although you think she'd be quiet and sleepy during the day. man i'm rambling now....

My one lovie Daisy is the same way!! She would non stop scream all day and nothing could stop her! I assumed it was my fault cause she is one spoiled baby and she knows it. After awhile I thought as well she needed someone to play with and so thats when I adopted my other lovie (also named Marley!) and he will not let Daisy anywhere near him but they will scream to eachother from the different rooms they are in. Its kinda cute at first but after the first hour it's double annoying! The place where I got Daisy from told me to buy a coffee can and put some change in it. When the bird gets too loud shake it and she claims that her lovie is no longer a screamer cause they hate that loud sound. Now I have not tried this (to me I think Daisy would get even more loud hearing that..not to mention scared!) but who knows maybe it will work.
    Amanda

Your description sounds like a contact call to me, too. My birds do this sometimes even when I'm standing right there but I think they are calling to my outside birds, specifically to the Blue Jays. The only outside birds that seem to interest my three are Blue Jays and they go nuts trying to communicate with them when they hear them squawk. Must remind them them of their homeland?
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

When Goof doesn't get a good nights sleep, 8-10 hours, he's generally more quiet than usual and will fall asleep in my hands when I let him out. He does manage on 6-7 occasionally, but thats pushing it.
    The mention of being noisey when making the bed may be that they get towels and clothing confused with wings flapping. That movement may mimmick what appears to be other birds nearby. I've noticed many other birds react the same way and will even attack them.....Thats why I keep my wings tucked way back so's nobody can see em. .....Michael and Goofy's sleeping