Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climbing on my head?

Default Re: Climbing on my head?

I'm not big on birds on my head, whatever size, but it's my personal feeling. I like having them where I can see them and it's hard to snuggle or kiss something when it's sitting on top of your head. I'm also not too big on bird poop in the hair....course, I have it everywhere else on me, but I don't care for the hair.
    All I will suggest is see how the behavior is when allowed on top of the head. If the lovie will not step up and come off your head without being pulled off, I'd say no sitting on the head privileges until that's learned. the same goes for my little turkeys that won't come off my shoulder without being pried off.
    MJ

Thanks MJ,
    That sounds good to me. I'm still feeling my way around which kinds of things are just the way it is, and which kinds of things I have some say in. Right-- if he won't come off I don't have to let him be there!

So far, all wipings of my hair after he's been atop my head have come clean. For now.

So MJ, if they run to the middle of your back when you are trying to get them to step off your shoulder, is that considered NOT minding? Big Boi and Shy both do that.....anything to keep from having to get off of momma! Like you, I don't want poop in my hair and a few years ago Oliver actually started building a nest in my hair (twice!!!) that I had to cut to get it out! Little bugger! He did it so quietly that I had no idea what he was up to.
    Janie

Oliver, RIP
    Big Boi
    Shy

Quote Originally Posted by new2birds View Post
    from what I am learning, this is a sign of dominence and should be avoided at all costs. It will be harder to train your bird and maintain control. The same is true with the shoulders. (I admit I am guilty of this one) My bird loves to ride around on my shoulders, but she needed to learn quickly (for your sake) that she is not the dominant one and that you are letting her up on your shoulder.
    Good Luck,
    Sincerely,
    new2birds.
    A lot of what's out regarding heads and shoulders on birds is more relevant to the larger parrots. I haven't really had that problem with the lovies. In fact, when they are on your shoulder they are still not above eye level. Lovebirds like the head for different reasons. For some, it's a safe place to get used to us humans, for some it's a place to preen and play, and in my house it's also been used as a humping toy .

I do have one meyer's parrot that is absolutely NEVER allowed on my head or shoulder. He not only gets domineering, but overly excited and has been known to bite holes in our flesh .
    Last edited by LauraO; 06-06-2007 at 05:16 PM.
    Laura O

As far as poop in the hair, i freak out at the thought of poop in mine.
    Iv'e found an old baseball cap works wonders for allaying that fear for those much loved, free rides on my head. Oddly enough she has yet to poop on my hair or the cap .

Sharon
    Animals and their love stay in our souls once we've let them in. And we are better for it, more whole, more complete, more compassionate, and often transformed.
    I dream of a world, when a chicken can cross the road without having it's motives questioned