Thread: New EPA Report on Teflon

Default New EPA Report on Teflon

This looks like the beginning of some changes regarding the use of Teflon (I hope!):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050630/..._me/epa_teflon
    ~Tim

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Smile Re: New EPA Report on Teflon

I hope so to even though im from the uk.
    CAM and YING.
    LOVEBIRDS ARE LIKE SMILES THEY NEVER CEASE TO MAKE YOU HAPPY.

Default Re: New EPA Report on Teflon

I can't see them changing. The chemical of concern is not used 'in' Teflon, only in the making of it.

The general public would not ever be exposed to it, other than through the manufacturing process.
    Shy
    "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
    -Robert Browning-

I have heard that Teflon is an extremely stable substance chemically. Surgeons actually use teflon in joint replacement (keeps things slippery). The body does not reject it. The problem exists with Teflon when it is heated at high temperatures and/or inadvertant scratching of the surface material. Particulates travel upward via convection. Any minute particle with this kind of mass property (another example: asbestos) can reach the lungs and cause minute cuts to the delicate pulmonary system. This affect is heightened in birds due to there higher metobolic/pulmanory rate. If you stand back from the pan the agglomerate in the air makes the particles too large to reach the lungs (trapped by nose hair and mucus, yum!)

The general school of thought regarding this issue can be devided into two belief systems: 1.) Meh, everything causes cancer. I'll take my chances. and 2.) Even if there is a slim chance of danger, I will alter my behavior to accomodate this potential threat.

How we decide to deal with the risk factors in our lives is at the center of our desire to "live long and prosper" (I am not a trekky, I swear!). I have read recently about how people perceive risk in their day to day lives. It is fascinating how many people (guilty!) believe in almost nonexistant and false fears. Our need to evaluate risk is driven by our survival instinct. Yet often we are led by irrational hype. The heart often rules the head, as they say. Real world examples need to be evaluated with a cold, clinical and calculating mind to determine whether or not anything is a risk factor.
    ~Tim

I don't know if I would compare teflon with asbestos. Teflon is a fairly soft polymer especially in thin layers or small pieces. You would be unable to cut any part of yourself with it, even microcuts, it is just to malleable and slippery.

Asbestos is more like fiberglass, extremely sharp, hard, and brittle even in microscopically small pieces.
    Shy
    -Robert Browning-

You would be unable to cut any part of yourself with it, even microcuts, it is just to malleable and slippery.
    Although it more than likely cannot pierce dermis, pulmonary tissue is far more delicate than skin tissue. Teflon acts like asbestos, this has nothing to do with what they are made of, but everything to do with how small they are. I do not like the idea that this non-naturally occurring substance can get past my biological defenses and take up shop in my body.

There are reports that there have been an unusually high rate of birth defects in babies born from woman who were working manufacturing teflon. That's all that I need to know.
    ~Tim

Tim
    The reports of miscarriages in pregnant women who work in the teflon plants is true, and the term 'unusually high' is an understatment. The numbers are close to 45%.There is a massive class action lawsuit currently underway.

These women work in an area where teflon is heated to high temperatures for molding and application purposes and it was discovered too late that fumes from heated teflon cannot be trapped through normal filtering and air purification techniques.

I had first hand knowledge of this situation because the company I worked with about 7 years ago was on the cusp of one of these lawsuits when several people were injured at a plant that cut teflon gaskets for our company. They had regular air purification systems and everyone in the plant ended up in the hospital after the router malfunctioned and caused the teflon to heat up to temperatures above the melting point threshold.

Teflon, under normal circumstances is like any polymer in your home, only it is at least twice as safe. ALL polymers release toxic gases when heated, as does teflon. Any plastic, nylon, or other synthetic fiber in your presence is more hazardous than teflon when heated because teflon has the highest melting point of any polymer presently manufactured. It is no more hazardous than any other plastic and to fear it is to cause yourself undo anxiety.

I will go one step further and ask how many people heat up leftovers in non-microwave safe plastic containers? To heat up one meal in a old margarine tub, a plastic that is not microwave safe, introduces more carcinogens into your food than if it were sprayed directly with bug killer.

I am not a fan of teflon because of my birds, but I am a supporter of the chemistry and science behind it. The fear over this product when used in normal applications is unfounded.
    Shy
    -Robert Browning-

I'm glad you brought me up to speed over the current class action lawsuit. I was not aware of the details of the problem.

I will go one step further and ask how many people heat up leftovers in non-microwave safe plastic containers? To heat up one meal in a old margarine tub, a plastic that is not microwave safe, introduces more carcinogens into your food than if it were sprayed directly with bug killer.

I am not a fan of teflon because of my birds, but I am a supporter of the chemistry and science behind it. The fear over this product when used in normal applications is unfounded.
    I agree with what you are saying here. My concern, which I feel is a moderate one, is when people don't use the product in normal applications, as you illustrated with the non-microwaveable containers. I have heard enough examples of misuse of teflon that I don't think enough people realise its potential for harm. How many people do you know that have occasionally used metal cooking utensiles while using teflon? I think it is a fair bet that there are a few. How many people have unwittingly injested flaked off bits of teflon thinking it was pepper? Human beings are capable of misusing just about anything so I know we can't blame the manufacturer for every scenario. I work with a respirator when I do my artwork. I take the necessary precautions to protect myself in an extreme environment; it's a no-brainer. I wish more people would put pulmonary safety on their front burner.
    Last edited by TGerard; 07-01-2005 at 08:23 AM.
    ~Tim

And keeping people well informed on the safety and hazards of all items we use on a daily basis will help everyone live a longer, healthier, and safer life.
    Shy
    -Robert Browning-

Normaly when i cook if there are black flakes means it did not get clean in dishwasher . My teflon pots are going bye bye soon as I do not like them actually.

Steph