Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Family's Pet Parrot Survives Encounter With Hawk

Default Re: Family's Pet Parrot Survives Encounter With Hawk

I haven't seen any hawks near our house, but there are crows. And I would worry as much about them as I would a hawk. I once tried to rescue a pigeon that I found in the work parking lot, but the poor thing was pecked too much, probably by a crow according to the guy at the wildlife rescue.

And really, do we want to even venture and test even a little bit of caffeine on a lovebird, mine doesn't need any :P
    Bronwyn ~ Artist trapped in an insurance agents body!

as i shared in a previous thread...we do have red tailed hawks in our area. i've seen them swoop down at our "wild birdie friends" and chase them through trees. i would never leave my lovie alone on the porch...or even on my shoulder in my yard as i'm sure a well keened hawk would be able to spot her a mile a way! so glad bogart is okay...that was a miracle!

Lucky he survived,it is unbelievable that they will reach into the cage to grab your bird.
    Proud owner of a 14yo PeachFaced Lovebird

That almost made me cry. Yes, I am very sensitive when it comes to animals being attacked. I watched my kitten get attacked by 3 pitbulls mauling him. I woke up to screaming and thought cats where fighting.. He only lived a few more days...he was my best friend =[. I was only in 2nd grade and I was on the front cover of the local newspaper with my kitten.

Astounding survival for that bird. Hope he recovers well from the ordeal.

We live in a rural area but Patty's kept inside. We have a hawk that's been frequenting our yard lately and just yesterday swooped in and landed on the wheel barrow about 10 feet from our patio door. Not sure if it was intent on getting our little bird or not or just checking out the bird feeding facilities by the patio, but Patty was sure letting us know that something she didn't like was outside. She even screams when she sees him land on the fence about 40 yards away.

ohmigosh, that is scary. So glad that her parrot survived. poor guy. what a miracle that she ran in the opposite way of where the hawk was flying and found her parrot. I think I would have ran following the hawk.

Joey, Evolet, Pantalaimon, Jada, Chomper, Milo, Hermes, Apollo, Orion, Basil, Ginger, Pepper, Sage, and Wasabi
    http://flockandthings.blogspot.com/

oh lovebug, that kitten story is so sad...

Joey, Evolet, Pantalaimon, Jada, Chomper, Milo, Hermes, Apollo, Orion, Basil, Ginger, Pepper, Sage, and Wasabi

i've seen other birds kill other birds before and i live in the city. I felt so guilty cuz I could have done something. I was walking home and was about 15 feet from my apt when this little chickadee flew out and landed on the sidewalk right by me, no less than 1 feet away. I stood there looking at it, debating what i should do. It looked like it couldn't walk and it looked so scared. My hands were full w/ shopping bags and i stood there for like 8 minutes, deciding what to do w/ this poor bird on the sidewalk. I decided to run to my apt and grab a shoe box and come back out. So I walked 2 feet when i heard birds arguing and turned around to see 3 chickadees chase these two black big birds out of the tree and the bird on the ground was getting attacked by the black birds. I seriously ran home and grabbed the shoebox, but i was too late. When I got back there, the poor bird was dead. He had blood all over his chest. I felt so bad.

you would think that that beak African greys are packing would make short work of a hawk... The muscles that close that maw are ridiculous! Perhaps thats why the hawk dropped it, maybe the grey got a beak-full of the predator. How brazen though, it makes me think of a time a hawk almost took my ferret right off his leash. It swooped low over the street, right down at him. Our subdivision is pretty much in a forest, so its overrun with wildlife. We have this owl that loves to sit on a telephone wire and watch nighttime cars and people pass under it. I never thought of them getting through screen though, its a good thing to know. Perhaps thats what happened to my quail...

My little Kiki had a close call at the weekend. She was outside with my wife and I and I turned my back for no more than 30 seconds checking on a guinea pig, then she was gone. It ended up she had flown (somehow, she's not a good flier at all) across the yard, over the 6 foot high fence, and then about another 15 metres or so onto the road. She was chirping when we called her, but I didnt find her for about 3 - 4 minutes after she had gone, because I didnt believe she could have gone without us seeing her. Any way, when I got her it was obvious she had been attacked by a bird - she wasnt bleeding but was missing feathers on one side of her face and was a little dishevelled and it looked like she had been pecked on her head. I think the magpie that hangs around where she was must have got her as she flew. Strangely though, she didnt seem disturbed by it at all, she was happy enough, though not as nippy as usual (except when I cut her wings later that day), and she is recovering her looks very quickly. Quite a potentially nasty episode though, and one that has resulted in more restrictions on bird activities.