Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air purifier

CaptMicha Guest

Default Air purifier

Does anyone use one because of their pets? What do you use? My room is approx. 18' x 18' but I would prefer something more powerful for a larger room because I have three fish tanks, hermit crabs and my birds in there.

An affordable one would be great! I don't think the Ionic Breeze ones are quite in my range.

Default Re: Air purifier

A hepa filter works better and is actually safer than a ionic air filter. Birds owners have reported that an ionic air purifier has made their birds sick. As far as price range, it varies from one model and one brand to another.
    Elle

It's not a coincidence that both birds and angels have wings!

"Many have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it.
    We remain responsible forever for what we have tamed."

I had an ionic purifier and paid a small fortune for it! Didn't like it so it turned out to be a huge waste of money!

My replacement is a hepa filter and it works much better. I use it between the house and my aviary.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

CaptMicha Guest

Do hepas have disposable filters or do some have those blades that you can just wipe clean? I'd really prefer the wipe clean kind.

HEPAs need to be replaced. The wipe clean kind are the ionic ones, and they really aren't very effective.

We're going to have a new air filter installed on our new furnace and A/C this September! I'm actually excited about it. It's a pleated kind of filter that only needs to be changed once a year.
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

Yeppers! I posted this same question a couple of months ago. Someone (Linda?) has the same one I ended up getting. HEPA is the way to go.

Jeni (me),
    Flapjack, doh 12/12/06 and Gremaldo, doh 6/06
    Flappuccino (Yellow sided GCC), doh 7/07
    Flapdancer/Nokomis (BH Caique), doh 2005

I have a really expensive hepa that i bought of craigslist for 75$. It even came with an extra replacement filter. I would check the local classifieds, sometimes people by them for short term projects (paining, home renovation, etc) and are willing to sell them at low cost. I know they can be expensive. I have an austin air one and it is so quiet you can barely even tell the thing is on. One of my birds developed a sinus problem, which went away as soon as i started filtering the air.
    Rachel

What can an Ionic Air Purifier do to your birds?

Since someone mentioned that it can make your lovies sick... it reminded me that Chris and I bought one for our room just to circulate and cleanse the air, and the more I think about it, about a month after we got it, Kirby's feathers started getting ratty...

Will that have a connection?

I forget exactly what it was about the ionic filters, but it had something to do with unsafe levels of ozone being released as a byproduct. That can cause irritation of the eyes and sinuses in humans; it might have given Kirby a skin irritation but it's hard to say.
    Barb

Happiness is a firm banana

Keltoth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieH View Post
    I forget exactly what it was about the ionic filters, but it had something to do with unsafe levels of ozone being released as a byproduct. That can cause irritation of the eyes and sinuses in humans; it might have given Kirby a skin irritation but it's hard to say.
    That is correct; the ionic filters can actually put out enough ozone into a room that does not have sufficient outgoing ventilation/air circulation to cause illness and death in birds, especially those that are the size of lovebirds. In fact, these filters can allegedly put out enough ozone to make HUMANS ill...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-04-04-air-filters_x.htm

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/bird_breeders_lung.htm

http://www.airpurifiers.com/reviews.htm