Thread: Not Birdie- Related:)

Default Not Birdie- Related:)

Have any of you ever raised any wild rodents?? I am attempting to raise 2 agouti (a rodent something like a wild guinea pig but bigger with powerful hind legs) in my house after finding them tragically orphaned. Their names are Aztec and Inca, and they are currently hanging out in a cage in my kitchen, eating warm mashed mango and making a huge mess. For those of you who've never seen agouti, I'll post a few pics when I get the chance.
    I start my final year of school in a week, and i have no idea what form of frazzled wreck i will become when i have to balance studies and animals.
    wish me luck...

"To walk the earth without giving love is to forget what you came for in the first place."

Default Re: Not Birdie- Related:)

Dani, I've never raised any rodents, though I did have a field mouse cohabitating with me years back that liked hot pepper cheese.

I had to look up what an agouti is. My first impression was they remind me of miniature capybaras, but obviously, not the same really.

What really amazed me was that they grow to be between 2-9 pounds! That's a big rodent! It was interesting to read that they are the only animal (besides parrots) that can open the shell on Brazil nuts and they play a big part in the whole process of distributing the seeds. Hey, Ammy, Aztec and Inca can all share Brazil nuts!

I do wish you luck with school and with your house full of lucky birds and animals. You have a big, kind heart.
    MJ

They are pretty big babies! They are just about two weeks old probably, but are nearly as big as a guinea pig.
    As for sharing Brazil nuts, I think Ammy will share with anything and anyone He wants momma to let him share his food with the dogs... and he will bark and bark and bark until momma goes deaf....

"To walk the earth without giving love is to forget what you came for in the first place."

Good update.
    I was getting a little depressed about the babies, as their wild instincts are coming out, and they are caught in a tough situation between being numbed against the dangers of human predators and wanting to run free. I sent out a few letters, and good news today a wonderful nature center has agreed to let me release them in a few weeks. They will be able to interact with people and live naturally, while being safe from predators. This is all i wanted for them; is a happy, safe life, even if it means I can't keep my sweet little ones:'(
    Sometimes loving is bigger than holding on, i guess.

You are doing such a good thing Dani, although I know you must be sad to let them go. The fact that you found such a wonderful place for them should ease the sadness, knowing that they will be in a safe environment for them to grow wild and free. Good on you!!!!

One short request...can you take a pic of them before they leave, so i see what the babies look like?????
    Robyn & Kiwi

Yes, I agree, you are doing a great thing for them. I'd love to see the babies too.

Think of it this way, now you will have extra room for another animal(s) in need!
    MJ