Thread: They sure know how to get themselves into trouble

Default They sure know how to get themselves into trouble

Kiwi's favourite thing to do is to chew on my hair elastics. They're the no-metal kind with the fabric covering.

I'm working on my thesis today, and she's out with me. Normally I don't let her chew on my hair elastic because it's an annoyance, but it was a better choice than the mouse cable, which she is determined to destroy. Finally I just let her have the elastic so that she wasn't pulling at my hair.

I had to put her on her window perch (less than a foot away from me) while I leaned over to get one of my books, and when I sat up again, she had my elastic over her head and around her neck. Fortunately it was a fairly big band, so it looked more like a necklace, and wasn't causing her any discomfort, but obviously I needed to get it off right away.

She hates my hands and doesn't take well to me holding her, and she's also finishing up a moult and in almost full feather. So as she was flying around with the elastic around her neck I had visions of her catching it on something and breaking her neck. Ugh. The first time I got her I tried to lift it up over her head, but she wouldn't have any of that.

So I put her on my shoulder and went into the kitchen to get the scissors. Then I took her back into the bathroom (where she had less room to fly/crash). It was terrifying. I was afraid I was going to hurt her. Fortunately she seemed to know that she needed to keep still (they are really smart, aren't they), and she stopped struggling long enough to let me cut the elastic.

Now she is sitting contentedly in my shirt, with her little warm body against my chest and her head poking out. We're developing a bond, finally
    Here is a quick clip. I look like crap--I apologize--I've been locked in the house with the last edits of my doctoral dissertation for a long time...:P
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/triathlonmeg/3638796903/

Phew. Crisis over. But man, do they know how to get into trouble! Needless to say, she will not be allowed to play with my hair elastics anymore.
    Last edited by Flip; 06-18-2009 at 03:15 PM.

She was not quite what you would call refined.
    She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
    She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.

Default Re: They sure know how to get themselves into trouble

Great story!

This has happened to both Eddie and Jimmy, but I have been able to free them. Mine are just the right size that it slides down and binds their wings. The sensation of not being able to flap freaks them out!

Of course, after I free them..... seconds later they are back at it. Now I buy smaller ones. lol

Glad Kiwi is ok, she is sooooo cute! I love the pieds with a white face.
    Laura- Human Eddie - my 1st and light of my life Aussie Cin. Peachie Jimmy - heavily pied Peachfaced Lovie Burt- Meyer's Parrot Hatched 01/2005 (and adopted by me on the luckiest day of my life - 09/30/2011) PBird Blue Front Amazon (35+ years old?) Adopted by me on both of our luckiest days .... officially on Dec. 13, 2011) Marley - pied Peachfaced angel - flew to the Rainbow Bridge on 11/05/08

Default Re: They sure know how to get themselves into trouble

That video is so cute! I want Oliver to sleep in my shirt - isn't it really the most adorable thing when they yawn?? UGH> I love it!!

Proud Momma to Five!!