Thread: lovebird question

Default lovebird question

this may seem like a dumb question but how much are lovebirds
    my relatives gave 2 lovebirds 2 days ago and this morning i came out to my aviary and 1 of them disappeared
    btw the lovebirds they gave us were peached face & masked (hybrids there called?) so yeah how much are they commonly in australia?

Default Re: lovebird question

it depends what state you are in in australia.

i have seen aviary birds range from $20 to $100

a hybrid is when you cross two of the nine types of lovebirds a mask face is one type of lovebird.

Quote Originally Posted by momo View Post
    it depends what state you are in in australia.

i have seen aviary birds range from $20 to $100

a hybrid is when you cross two of the nine types of lovebirds a mask face is one type of lovebird.
    well live in Victoria, Melbourne
    so how much would it be?
    and what would be a good match up with my lovebird which is crossed between peached & masked?
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by nightmareXD View Post
    well live in Victoria, Melbourne
    so how much would it be?
    and what would be a good match up with my lovebird which is crossed between peached & masked?
    thx
    Not sure about in Australia, but a hybrid is worth nothing here.

I'm not sure what you mean by match up, if you mean a mate as in a breeding partner, then nothing! Don't breed hybrids, it's wrong. Whilst alot of people believe PF x Masked hybrids are not fertile, this is not the case, some can and do happily reproduce.

If you mean match up as in a friend, then any species of lovebird should be fine, peachfaced would be the best bet. Personally, I would not cage them together though.
    Last edited by personatus; 07-07-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Hybrids cannot be bred - I have been told that they are sterile but by reading the above I see that that is not the case!!! But still dont breed them, they are already a mix of two, dont muddy up the works! Any friend should be fine, as personatus said. Sorry to hear one got away, hope the other has a new friend soon!!

Proud Momma to Five!!