Thread: Possible start of first molt?

Default Possible start of first molt?

Coconut is just over 15 weeks old, and in the last couple days, I've started noticing some odd behavioral quirks. First of all, she's a bit nippier than usual, seems just a tad fluffy, and is rubbing her head all over a rope toy in her cage. I also noticed some odd quiet chirps I hadn't before- they sound kind of like a puff of air from an oxygen tank. I'd heard the noise before, but only when she was open-mouth attacking a toy and I just assumed it was the sound of breath whistling through an open beak. At first I freaked out and thought she was wheezing but when I listen, her breathing seems fine- not at all labored, no tail bobbing. This morning, her usual preen routine was interrupted by more head shaking than usual.

I've also noticed a couple lost down feathers, which is more than I've ever noticed before. I feel like I've read that the first molt can cause all kind of physical upsets for the young birds- everything from slight weight loss to runny poops, to general fussiness. I've also read that the molts start at around 16 weeks- Coconut is a little young.

I've already called the vet for a consultation, just waiting to hear back. I might schedule a visit.

Any input in the meantime? Are these molting symptoms or something else?

Thanks again- in advance.

Default Re: Possible start of first molt?

True, the first molt begins at roughly 16 weeks, it's possible that something else is going on.
    This morning, her usual preen routine was interrupted by more head shaking than usual.
    Have her checked for an ear infection.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

I've got an appointment at 2 today. I'm paying for an urgent care visit, but I think it's worth it.

Please let us know what your vet has to say.
    Linda L.

Nothing showed up, except the exact same weight loss that I noticed. The vet decided to do a complete blood panel and another blood test for liver and kidney function. She said that the bird looked fine externally- no discharge or obvious signs of infection- but that the weight loss coupled with other odd symptoms I was noticing were definitely enough of a red flag to do the test right away. And, since we were already doing a blood draw, I decided to throw in the sexing. It didn't add much to the already steep bill, and it eliminates the need for another jugular blood draw. I was more terrified than Coconut during that blood draw, believe you me. Anyway, I'll know everything I need to on Monday.

And.... $200 later.....

Best case scenario, I just have a stubborn lovie who's just starting her molt and is deciding that she doesn't like pellets anymore- she'd rather have millet, thank you very much! (Which is, in turn, leading to malnourishment and weight loss....) The vet did say that she's seen lovebirds go on strike with eating all of a sudden, especially with pellet/seed mixes, and especially when they hit the 15/16 week age mark. Worst case- there's something odd and congenital going on. Either way, I'll know.

Kinda nerve-wracking weekend though.

I got tons of compliments on how social and well-adjusted she is though. Vet said that it's clear she gets worked with a lot. She didn't even bite when the towel came out.

If there's nothing obvious, then blood work is where to start. Something caused the weight loss, even if it's just refusing the pellets. Heck, my oldest pair of Lutinos would rather have starved to death than to have eaten a pellet. Both lived to 17 so they were getting what they needed from something.

Have you tried sprouting seed? It's extremely nutritious and there are very few birds that won't eat it. http://www.sproutpeople.com sells a small seed sprouting mix that I've used with my own birds or you can try seeds on your own. Homemade cornbread is usually another hit and you can add just about anything to it that you want and it will be eaten!

Hopefully, you will have some answers on Monday.
    Linda L.

Tried the cornbread thing- she kinda turned up her beak. Until it went all stale and hard in the fridge, then it was a hit. I legitimately think it's a texture thing with her. She doesn't like mushy or soft things, even when warmed up. She went bonkers for dried peas and carrots, which she beaked and then spit out when they were fresh and softer.

I think I'll try the sprouted seed thing, though. Just for something different.

All tests came back clean. Gender doesn't come back for another week or so. Either way, she seems fine. Still doing the head-shakey irritable thing, but she put back on the weight she lost last week plus another gram as of this morning. The vet checked her nares again, just in case there was something stuck- for the third time, nothing's stuck, nothing looks irritated, yada yada....

I'm going to play the "wait and see" game again. At least now I know there's not an underlying infection.