Thread: Molting

Default Molting

Question for those with multiple lovies: Do you find any variation in the amount of feathers molted from one lovie to the next and if so, what causes that?

Melody, age 7 months, went through a baby molt at 4 months. She has molted out a few more feathers since then, but nothing like Milo. Milo is a feather dropping machine. He started his baby molt at about 4 months and went right into a full blown molt, and is still dropping quite a few feathers at 11 months.

I was wondering if it's the time of year or maybe feather structure (violet vs non-violet) had something to do with it?
    ~Jennifer
    He** hath no fury like a nesty hen

Default Re: Molting

Jennifer,

Neither of mine molt heavily. Maybe it's a yellow birdie thing???? They loose a few down feathers from time to time, but nothing significant, and then of course the occasional primary feather or tailfeather, but not often.

This should be interesting to see
    "Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath
    her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."
    -Victor Hugo

Lori

Abbotsford, British Columbia (near Vancouver)

I never notice mine molting...except for the 4 month molt. I guess I jsut always have feathers everywhere.... and I am vacuuming 2X a day at least.... :eek:

Occasionally I will notice a few extra colored feathers hanging around...I have a little bag I put them in for my dad...he loves using them to tie flies for fishing .
    Traci

That is a fantastic idea!! my husband goes fishing...
    I too have to vacuume several hundred times a day....right now the sunportch we are remodeling has a carpet......by the time the tile goes in the carpet will be ready for the trash! LOL
    There are always a ton of feathers on the floor, stuck to the cages, floating around...in the water bowls, food bowls...etc....... UGH, but hey, a birdies gotta molt! I just pick and choose the feathers I want for my "dream catcher collection" and vacuume the rest up. done deal!
    I have 10 birds so there will always be someone molting I'm sure. They are all different ages too, so that makes for some molting while others arent,,,so I think there will always be feathers floating around in their room. And YES,,,there are an ABUNDANCE of feathers on most days!
    Take care,
    Lori

I've only got the 2 birds, but I find tons of little blue/violet feathers all over the house. No yellow/green ones.
    ~Jennifer
    He** hath no fury like a nesty hen

I can definately tell when Ditto is moulting (like right now). He'll be sitting there, then puff up to about twice his normal size and after one quick shake it looks like it's snowing in here with all the white down feathers fluttering down.

I've noticed a pattern to his moults now too. It starts with the white down feathers, then after those are done it's on to the yellow body feathers. Once those finish it's time for the tailfeathers to go. Then the coverts swap out. Last seem to be the flights.

He likes to take his time with it. By the time he's finished it's about time to start over again.
    Dave and Ditto (he still lets me list my name first)

Intresting thread. I only have two Lovies for only five months now, and I'm guessing now with the weather change, they are molting like CRAZY!!!

Their baby molt was pretty light, and I only noticed that because of the pin feathers above their nares...but now its feather galore!!!

Especially since their flight feathers are growing back in and they've been beating their wings an excercizing more and more, feathers have been flying EVERYWHERE!!!

I can't imagine what it is like for those that has a number of Lovies!!

all of my lovies have their own room.....(well they all share the same room)so the molting happens, and its bad....lots of feathers of all shapes and sizes on any given day, but because it is all in their room and I vacuume in there, its not so bad. There are 10 of them (there may be more in the near future....)
    I may have to go "male" shopping for all them hens in there! LOL...
    Me thinks i will be looking for something in the line of dem real purdy Orange faced birdies!!
    Just have to figure out how long it's gonna take to get the hubby to agree! LOL
    take care,
    Lori