Thread: This may sound silly...

Default This may sound silly...

I'm about to move to Kentucky and I'm giving my female lovebird to a good friend of mine. Well she's bonded to one of my other lovies. I just wanted to ask how traumatic it is for a bird to be split from its mate? I know it sounds very silly probably since birds clearly don't have the depth of our range of emotions and feelings. But from the way my boy is carrying on right now you'd think he was in physical pain. Am I doing the right thing? They've only been together for about 10 months. It's not like he'll be alone, he's got the bird he grew up with to be with again and they get along still after being separated for such a long time. But they never bonded to each other.
    My flock

From left to right: Daiquiri, Saffron, Coquina, Haiku (Diamond dove), and Cyan (Parrotlet)

Default Re: This may sound silly...

Honestly i have had lovebirds call for thier cage mate for months! They are as smart as two year old children so go through mourning and missing thier partner.
    If at all possible i would suggest not seperateing them, how about giveing your male with your female to your friend? If at all possible better to keep two who are bonded together if possible.
    Thats just imo
    ....Two little birds were on my doorstep, singing sweet songs in a melody pure and true.....

I agree with Jeremiah. Once I have a bonded pair of lovies, I don't split them. Different species of birds react differently but I would keep both or rehome both.
    Linda L.
    There are no bad birds, just misunderstood ones.

If he sounds to you like he's in pain to you, then he is! Separating a bonded pair is cruel and together ten months, that's almost a year........how would you feel if you had a relationship for that long and it broke up? Hurt, right? It's long enough, and my two cockatiels became a very strongly bonded pair very quickly.......when the female passed away, it was heartbreaking watching her mate cry for her. Please don't separate them if they are crying out to each other. And you think this is silly?? I think it's worse for a bird than a person because birds love unconditionally and most stay with their mates for life. How many humans can you say that about?? Birds bond much more strongly because in the wild their lives depend on that. If you can't give your bird a forever home, at least do the best you can for her......... Like Jeremiah said, I'd give her the pair together.
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."

While I agree with the posts above, what is the reason you are rehoming this particular female and keeping the male (and possibly the other birds from your flock judging by your signature)?

It would be a little silly to give my male back to the person I bought him from, especially because they aren't even reproducing so they'd be a pretty useless pair to my friend. He is also bonded to me as well. The female doesn't even know he's gone. She's had several mates before I got her. She was a rescue from an abusive situation. I'm not "getting rid of her", someone wants her. And the dove is a bird my friend got me without asking (I think he was just trying to impress me or something because he knew I liked birds). I'm perfectly fine with keeping her, space permit, but unfortunately my car broke down so I'm getting it towed up so they've got to be in a travel cage. But she decided this is the perfect time to get eggnant again so she's got an egg in her. How do you catch a female with a big egg bulge and grab her to put her in a travel cage? She's extremely aggressive. Rather than trying to catch her and risk hurting her I figured letting her avoid a stressful 15 hour trip and stay in her own cage would probably be the best thing.

And I have had my hopes and dreams crushed by a lying piece of crap guy after a long period of time, so it's not really a "how would you feel" situation. Been there, done that...

My boys are together and he's not crying out for her anymore. He's eating and playing in his old cage again, although when she talks or plays with her bells he comes running to that side of the cage to see her.
    My flock

From left to right: Daiquiri, Saffron, Coquina, Haiku (Diamond dove), and Cyan (Parrotlet)

As long as nobirdy's crying and carrying on, then you're good!
    I hope that someday people can understand that it's not "just a bird,"
    but the very thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a
    human."